If you have been driving in South Florida on I-95 or the turnpike, especially in Miami or Fort Lauderdale, then you have come into contact with the semi-trucks, big-rigs, or 18-wheelers that share the road. Unfortunately accidents with these trucks occur regularly and the damage caused in these incidents can be catastrophic. If you have been involve in an accident with a semi-truck in Florida you should try to follow the following tips:
- Seek immediate medical attention, sometimes internal injuries are not easily detectable and require immediate attention.
- Notify the police and obtain a copy of the police report, or police report number.
- Obtain copies of the truck driver’s insurance information, name, and driver’s license number.
- Obtain names and contact information of any witnesses at the scene of the accident.
- Note the weather conditions, road conditions, lighting at the time of the accident.
- Do not sign anything.
- Do not speak to the truck driver’s insurance company.
- Hire a truck or semi-truck accident attorney immediately.
Semi-truck accidents differ from regular car accidents. The drivers and the companies have to adhere to strict state and federal regulations. Certain factors including speeding, over loaded freight, and fatigue can contribute to the negligence of the truck driver. You will need a Miami or Fort Lauderdale truck accident attorney to assist you.
If you or anyone you know has been involved in an accident with a semi-truck, big rig, or 18 wheeler and would like to schedule a free consultation with a truck accident lawyer then please contact Shmucher Law, PL at 305.741.5553 or 954.309.5559 today.